Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Kiswahili or Japanese?

So I’ve been trying to teach myself Kiswahili—> this process involves looking for helpful websites (because I’m too cheap to buy a book), making flashcards (ah, good ole’ high school language class techniques), and creating “homework” for myself. And of course, I am learning by simply being here and asking my Kenyan friends to teach me “hip” phrases.

What I’ve noticed is that Kiswahili sounds like Japanese—no joke! Even when I walk down the street, I'd hear people talking and think they're speaking in an Asian language. Naturally, I want to express solidarity with my people (Asians) so I turn around with wide eyes, a hopeful smile, and fingers-ready-to-flash-THE-peace-sign… only to find that it’s two Kenyans speaking Kiswahili.

Don’t believe me? Well, for the words below, ask yourself… Kiswahili or Japanese?

1. Usiku
2. Jisikie huru
3. Nusu
4. Basu
5. Kisha
6. Elfu
7. Inatosha
8. Watoto
9. Keti
10. Chisu
11. Azima
12. Kimbia

Fun game, right? Maybe I should patent this too and it’ll become an awesome gameshow….

You may be wondering, was I being selective and biased with the Kiswahili words I picked? Maybe. But that’s not the point. Heh. ((although in real seriousness, a majority of words do have this Japanese-esque sound/spelling. To add validity to this statement, my Kenyan friend thinks so too.))

Anyhoo, in an attempt to make you forget my “foolery,” here is some visual stimulation; Location: Nairobi National Museum

They had an amazing mosaic art piece on the floor of a garden. The garden emphasized growing indigenous plants and their importance to the well-being of Kenya's environment.




My friend was telling me how this mosaic Kenya is split into the different provinces. As well, she explained how the color of the glass reflects the geographical features of the country.

The light and dark blue ovals on the map are 3-D, glass faces! ((Not as creepy as it sounds, I assure you)) Each face reflects the general facial features of the people/tribe in the region. It is a beautiful piece.



Kwaheri/Sayonara,
Yv